2023 Board Election Applications
2023 Board Elections
District 5 (Sandy Valley, Mountain Springs, Trout Canyon), and District 6 (North Pahrump, all services North of Hwy. 372) Board of Directors’ seats are up for election in 2023. Eligible members may become a candidate by being selected by the Valley Electric Nominating Committee, or nomination by petition of members.
The Nominating Committees has selected the following candidates to be placed on the ballot:
- District 5 – William ‘Kevin’ McMahan
- District 6 – Paul Healey
For those seeking to be nominated by petition, 15 or more signatures from Valley Electric members on record of the district the petitioned candidate is seeking election for (the name must appear on the account), with a completed VEA Candidate Petition Form, Background Check Form & Release, Director Candidate Application, and Biographical Information Form (if not previously submitted for current election process) must be submitted by January 12th, 2023 at 5:00p.m. All forms can be found below.
- Candidate Petition Form
- Background Check Form & Release (Please email completed forms to: email@example.com)
- Biographical Information Form
- Director Candidate Application (to be submitted online)
Please note: all Candidates desiring to have their name, photo and biographical information included on the ballot and any other form of communication must complete the Biographical Information Form. For assistance with this process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualifications: Article IV, Section 2 of the Bylaws states no person shall be eligible to become or remain a director of the Association who:
- Is not a member in good standing and consumer of transmission, distribution, or energy service Being a “member in Good standing,” requires that the member shall not be in a state of default on any payments owed to, or accounts with, the Association over the previous 12 months.
- Is in any way employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise, or in a business selling electric energy or supplies to the Association.
- Has been convicted of a felony prior to, or during, their term.
- Is not a primary permanent resident of the district from which the director is elected or chosen for at least one year prior to being elected or chosen.
- Is a current employee of the Association.
- Is employed by an agent of or is a close relative of an employee or agent of the Association. As used in these Bylaws, “close relative” means a person who, by blood, partnership, or law, including half, foster, step and adoptive kin, is either a spouse, child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew or niece of the principal.
The election process and the candidate eligibility has been vetted by the Credentialing Committee as outlined in the Bylaws. Members of the Credentialing Committee are Eddie W., District 1; Diane B., District 2; Dan P., District 4; Surely K., District 5; John P., District 7.
The Nominating Committee shall nominate a minimum of (1) or a maximum of (3) persons from each District up for election. In addition, the incumbent director shall also be a nominee for re-election pending notification of such candidacy to the Nominating Committee via the Board Application, along with meeting all qualification requirements as laid out above. Members of the Nominating Committee are District 5: Christina B., Electra S., Surely K., and Rebecca T.; District 6: Carole C., David D., and Doug M. The Nominating Committees provided notification to all Director applicants of the status of their application on December 15th, 2022.
A Candidate’s Night will be held in any District where there are more than two candidates. Tentatively, a Candidates Night will be held for District 5 on February 21st, 2023, and District 6 on February 22nd, 2023. More information will be provided closer to the dates via our website, social media, and email notifications.
The winners of each district seat, District 5, and District 6 will be announced at their respective District Annual Meetings to be held in person.
Following each meeting results will also be posted on VEA’s website and shared via social media.
In the event that a run-off election is required, as outlined in Article III, Section 6.2 of the Bylaws, that election will take place immediately following the announcement of the results at each voting Districts’ meeting. Run-off election results will be posted on the VEA website, social media and sent by email to all valid emails on file for the respective district.
2023 Voting District Meeting Dates:
District 5 (Sandy Valley, Mountain Springs, Trout Canyon), March 28th, 2023
District 6 (North Pahrump, All services North of Hwy. 372), March 29th, 2023