District 1 (Pahrump South – south of Hwy 372) and District 3 (Beatty, Sarcobatus Flat, & Scotty’s Junction) Board of Directors’ seats are up for election in 2021. Eligible members may become a candidate by being selected by the Valley Electric Nominating Committee, or nomination by petition of members. For consideration by the Nominating Committee, please complete the application and biography forms listed below. The deadline for the application to be received is 5:00p.m. on December 18, 2020.
To run for Director, the Application needs to be completed and submitted by 5:00p.m. on December 18th, 2020:
Biographies are due by 5:00p.m. on February 12th, 2021
Incumbent Directors seeking re-election must submit their desire to run in writing by completing the Director Application by the deadline listed above.
All elected Directors are subject to a criminal background check, must live within the geographic boundary of the district they seek to represent and must meet all other conditions of eligibility. A criminal background check will be administered to the elected Candidate in each District at the cost to the elected Director of $99.00.
Qualifications: Article IV, Section 2 of the Bylaws states no person shall be eligible to become or remain a director of the Association who:
- Is not a member in good standing and consumer of transmission, distribution, or energy service Being a “member in Good standing,” requires that the member shall not be in a state of default on any payments owed to, or accounts with, the Association over the previous 12 months.
- Is in any way employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise, or in a business selling electric energy or supplies to the Association.
- Has been convicted of a felony prior to, or during, their term.
- Is not a primary permanent resident of the district from which the director is elected or chosen for at least one year prior to being elected or chosen.
- Is a current employee of the Association.
- Is employed by an agent of or is a close relative of an employee or agent of the Association. As used in these Bylaws, “close relative” means a person who, by blood, partnership, or law, including half, foster, step and adoptive kin, is either a spouse, child, grandchild, parent, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew or niece of the principal.
Completed applications to be considered by the Nominating Committee must be received by 5:00p.m. on December 18th, 2020. If you have any questions regarding this position or the application process, please contact email@example.com .
The election process and the candidate eligibility will be vetted by the Credentialing Committee as outlined in the Bylaws. Members of the Credentialing Committee are Paula R., District 1; Mike C., District 2; Carrie R., District 3; Dan P., District 4; & Surely K., District 5.
The Nominating Committee shall nominate a minimum of (1) or a maximum of (3) persons from each District up for election. In addition, the incumbent director shall also be a nominee for re-election pending notification of such candidacy to the Nominating Committee via the Board Application, along with meeting all qualification requirements as laid out above. Members of the Nominating Committee are: District 1: John P., Marianne W., Tamie P., & Tom D., and District 3: Bob M. & Victor G.
The Nominating Committee will notify all applicants of the status of their application by January 18th, 2021.
For those seeking to be nominated by petition, 15 or more signatures from Valley Electric members of record of the District the petitioned candidate is seeking election for (the name must appear on the account), along with a candidate application (if not previously submitted for current election process) must be submitted by February 12th, 2021 at 5:00p.m. The petition form can be found below. Please complete the Biographical Information Form by February 12th, 2021 at 5:00p.m. as well.
All Candidates desiring to have their name, photo and biographical information included on the ballot and any other form of communication must complete the Biographical Information Form. For assistance with this process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Candidate’s Night will be held in any District where there are more than two candidates. Tentatively, a Virtual Candidates Night will be held for District 3 on March 9th and District 1 on March 11th, 2021. More information will be provided closer to the dates via our website, social media, and email blasts.
The winners of each district seat will be announced at their respective District Annual Meetings. District Meetings for District 1 & District 3 will be held virtually, posted on the VEA website at 5:00p.m. on the following dates:
District 3 on April 27th, 2021 and District 1 on April 29th, 2021.