VEA Accepting Applications for Annual Scholarships
Member-owned cooperative to award six scholarships in 2016
PAHRUMP, Nev. (March 9, 2016) – As part of its ongoing effort to foster the success of Nevada’s future leaders, Valley Electric Association, Inc. (VEA), a member-owned electric cooperative based in Pahrump, is now accepting applications for its annual scholarship program. Each year, VEA awards a variety of post-secondary education scholarships to assist the cooperative’s members and their dependents.
For 2016 VEA will award six scholarships, including:
- Two full-time academic scholarships offering $1,000 per year for four consecutive years
- Two full-time vocational/technical scholarships offering $1,000 per year for two consecutive years
- Two part-time continuing education scholarships offering $500 for one year
Interested individuals can obtain scholarship applications from VEA’s website, www.vea.coop. To be eligible, candidates must meet these requirements:
- Applications, or their parents/legal guardians, must be members of VEA with an active account served by the cooperative.
- Applicants for the academic and vocational/technical scholarships must also enroll at an accredited educational or training institution as full-time students.
The deadline to submit applications is 5 p.m. on March 14.
VEA committees will evaluate candidates using a variety of criteria and will announce the 2016 scholarship recipients at the cooperative’s Annual Meeting on April 23. For full details visit //vea.coop/content/scholarships
“VEA is passionate about supporting the communities it serves. Helping VEA members further their education is one way VEA enjoys giving back,” said Cassandra Selbach, VEA community relations representative. “Helping community members pay for their education and vocational skills training not only promotes a skilled workforce, it also strengthens the economic potential of our communities.”
VEA has awarded academic, vocational/technical and continuing education scholarships since 2008. The amount of scholarship awards has grown substantially in recent years, from $1,000 awarded in 2008 to $12,000 awarded in 2015.
About Valley Electric Association, Inc.
Valley Electric Association, Inc. (VEA) is a member-owned nonprofit electric utility headquartered in Pahrump, Nev. While VEA started as a small rural electric utility in 1965, the company now provides service to more than 45,000 people within a vast 6,800-square-mile service area located primarily along the California-Nevada border, with the majority in Nevada. VEA’s service area starts in Sandy Valley, southwest of Las Vegas, and extends north for more than 250 miles to Fish Lake Valley.